Saturday 12 January 2013

More than just a word - THE SEQUEL.

Hey guys,

Hope your first two weeks of 2013 have already shown you glimpses of everything you can be!

As for me, I'm re-visiting a couple of old resolutions, starting with the one about keeping my word - http://j2self.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/more-than-just-word.html

I'm the type of person who takes FOREVER to really understand something, but once I do, it changes me. And today I realised that I still have a way to go before I become my 'Ideal Self', in the 'commitment' department.

Commitment as in - I still give my word very freely and very easily, just to see other people light up and look happy at that moment. And at times, I still don't hold true to what I have promised.

Don't get me wrong, the 'Word Bank' is coming in SO useful, and I'm really chuffed at myself for sticking to my word at least 60% of the time, as opposed to the previous 30%. It's increased my confidence in myself and I feel like I'm becoming the sort of credible, reliable person I know I can be.

But today I think I uncovered something new about myself - I think I have an aversion to commitment (!). I'm literally figuring this out as I'm writing this, so this should be fun:

I find that I give my word to being involved with something, but the fact that I have locked myself down to a commitment scares me; furthermore, I make up all sorts of excuses to try to validate to myself why I shouldn't uphold a promise - why it's okay to break a commitment, just this once.

For instance, I tell someone I will come to an event, and in the 2 hours leading up to the event, my mind goes on overdrive, trying to convince me that I won't compromise my credibility if I don't go.

Another example - I commit to taking part in a production or a play, initially overcome by excitement. Then I start making excuses within my own head, to get out of becoming 'too involved' in it.

I am so strange!

So here I go, psycho-analysing myself again. Why do I act like this?


Time for some good old self-reflection.
Photo courtesy: PixelCurse.

Potential reason #1:

I'm lazy.

Very possible. I can be shockingly lethargic at times.

And you know how in cartoons, the protaganist always has this evil dude sitting on one of her shoulders, and another goodie two-shoes angel on the other shoulder? Maybe when I try to stick to my word and really do everything possible to commit to something and carry it out, 'Evil Dude' is like: "Man, who cares, just leave it. It's not a big deal".

 
Yeah possible. Sometimes when we try to implement new habits, its our old pre-conditioned mindset that stands in the way, and it can be really hard to overcome that. Maybe that's what I'm dealing with now.

Potential reason #2:

Commitment freaks me out - why?

I guess as a person, I hate being held down within the confines of something. I don't like rules that say: "You can't do this" or "Please do not". I don't like feeling restricted. This can be a good thing, but it's also something I need to learn to rein in, especially in situations like this. 

Maybe in a sense, I perceive commitment to be a 'restriction'? It does mean I MUST abide by a certain course of action, and not another - so maybe I feel limited when I commit to something and actually have to carry through, with no other option.

</END ANALYSIS/>

It's probably a mixture of both of these reasons.

And the reason I'm bringing this up today, is because I thought all was well and good - my Word Bank was working most of the time, and I was making awesome progress. But the truth is, I thought I was doing great at a very high-level, without really reflecting at a deeper level.

Let me re-phrase - this whole thing, of trying to wrangle my way out of things AFTER I have committed, I never ever realised I did that before, until today. Until today, it was a sub-concious part of me, a pre-conditioned behaviour, and I was completely oblivious to it!

And now that I can see it consciously, I'm so surprised and so annoyed at myself.

So how am I going to fix it?
 

Well, let's AUDIT the Word Bank process first:

* Clearly I am not recording every commitment I make in the Word Bank once it happens. I went and had a look through and noticed that the bigger commitments I made never made it in (!). How strange. If I saw a commitment on paper, I would definitely feel more determined to stick to it, so I need to become more aware of when I am making a commitment to someone, and immediately input this into the Word Bank.
* I am also not checking my Word Bank frequently enough, so I need to make this a daily habit.

So that's that.

But what about the bigger issues at play here? Because something else has just occured to me - do I dislike commitments because some part of me thinks I will not be able to meet the expectations of the people I have committed to?

If so, then, between pure laziness/self-sabotage, a general dislike for confines and rules, and a tiny residual lack of confidence in my ability to fulfil a promise - I've got my work cut out for me in this department!

So having acknowledged that I've taken the first few steps, I need to plot out my next steps.

And here they are:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Be alert and aware of whenever I am about to give my word/make a commitment.

2. Stop right there, and consider whether:
a) I genuinely want to do this
b) I am willing to do this
c) I am ready to do this, no matter what

3. Make the commitment

4. Record it in my Word Bank there and then, no matter how many weird looks I get.

5. Ensure I carry through. If I notice myself making up excuses, or trying to 'wrangle out', here is the one question that will get me through:

"What would Ideal Me do?"

This is the question I asked today, that brought on this realisation. It is SO effective and powerful. All the excuses, the lies I tell myself, everything slips away, when I ask myself that question. Check it - http://j2self.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/hey-guys-hope-you-are-having-beautiful.html


So there we have it - Revised Action Plan Number 2, for 'Keeping my Word'.

And as I'm writing this, I can hear a voice asking me: "Is it worth it?".

I had to pause for a minute, but the answer is a very strong 'YES'.

Because 'Ideal Me' is the sort of person whose word is so credible, so precious and so powerful, that once given, it creates lasting change. I want to be a person of integrity, steadfast character and convictions, and inner strength. And this is going to get me there.



Hear that Evil Dude? That's right.

As always, I would love to hear what you think and what your experience is - it not only makes for awesome conversation, but it also helps in providing perspective.

Til' next time!

Love & Peace,
A.

2 comments:

  1. I too have epic commitment issues. I totally feel your potential reason #2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post!!
    I love how you are taking it seriously about giving your word out and sticking to it.

    It always starts simple as well, whether it be you saying you will call someone back or where and what time u will meet someone. If you do all the smaller commitments then it makes it so much easier to do the really important one.

    Like it was said by Will Smith "Don't focus on building a wall. Instead place this brick as perfectly as you can then do it with the next one and one after..."
    It creates that simple habit and then it becomes second nature to you.

    For me things changed the moment I was ready to listen to myself and what was important to me. By this I mean that I would listen to myself if I was talking to someone and just before I commit to something in the microseconds before I think about it. Some things come to mind like

    * Can I really achieve what I am about to agree to?
    * Do I really care about this commitment or is it just 'something nice'?
    * How important is it to me to honour this to this person?

    Granted sometimes I am a little slow to respond as well, but I guess I can deal with the minor awkwardness if it comes as to me it is more important to really want to do something I agree to with someone.

    Feels much better because it feels like I get to be my true self. It might sound selfish that I choose to do something if I want to, but is that not better than to do something then (most probably) end up complaining about it after in some form?
    Might as well not have committed to doing it in the first place dummy!!
    All based on the context of course...

    Finally do not forget about de-committing either! Since there isn't much benefit to beating yourself up for not meeting a commitment, if it was that important then recommit and go again.

    ReplyDelete