Sunday 20 January 2013

Acknowledging One's Awesomeness.

Hey guys!

I have heaps to say because I've learnt loads about myself this past week, but let me start with this:

How do you react to compliments?

If you're anything like me, your face kinda twitches, you squirm a little bit, and you DEFLECT like anything. It goes something like this:

Complimenter: "Oh you look nice today!"
Me: "....I...ah-huh..yep thanks" *face twitch* "So the weather these days right?? What is like up with that?"


I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I think the way someone responds to a compliment says a lot about them.

I started picking up on my weird reaction to compliments a lot over the last couple of weeks, and then I started digging deep and noticing something else. If someone, even it if were a close friend, were to mention something I have achieved, I would DEFLECT straight away. I would completely downplay it, be a little awkward, and then change the topic.

And you know what, I told myself this was okay the first couple of times I noticed it. I was being humble and self-deprecating and charming right?

Mmmm not really. Now that I think about it, this is not a good thing.

And when I started asking myself why I acted this way, several things popped up:

1. I am afraid to appear successful in front of others.
2. I think that accepting my achievements in front of others is a form of cockiness, so I go the other way and completely devalue what I have done/achieved.
3. I sometimes don't enjoy having the spotlight on me, so I turn it away as soon as I can.

I can understand where the second two reasons come from - to an extent, I think it comes from society telling us to be superficially self-deprecating when we interact with others, to appear humble by spilling out a couple of seemingly modest statements. You know how it goes:

"You look great! That dress is gooorgeous!"
"No this old thing? It's practically an antique. You're the one who looks amazing!"
"Oh tosh! Don't be silly, I look like a bag"

I'm not even going to try to deconstruct what really exists underneath the surface of such conversations.

So I'll move on to Reason # 1 - which I find a bit unsettling. I want to know why I am afraid of appearing successful.

It could be because I think that it will repel people away from me. This reminds me of (part of) a beautiful quote:

There is NOTHING enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to SHINE, as children do.”
Marianne Williamson

Even as I'm writing this, my mind is screaming: "STOP! You sound like an arrogant prick, no-one is going to read this from now on".

But what is so damn wrong about OWNING your achievements in front of others? What is so wrong with a big smile and a "THANK YOU", when someone compliments you?

That other person is seeing the good in you, sometimes the good that even you can't see. Why be ashamed of what you have, and what you are? Why not acknowledge all that you have achieved? God knows you worked hard for it!

And I know that people think it can be easy to move from being proud and owning one's achievements, to being boastful and conceited. I don't think it is. I think a truly secure and self-confident individual will acknowledge and own her achievements and her good traits in a way that empowers the people around her, rather than belittling them or making them feel insecure.

It is only when you are lacking in self-confidence, that you try to over-compensate and over-indulge in a compliment or in flattery, and that's what comes across as egotistical. I'll write more on this in another post for sure.

But coming back to this post, here is my conclusion - I find it easy to genuinely compliment and praise the people around me on their achievements. Why should it be so hard for me to accept the same?

Acknowledging all the things you love about yourself in a public domain, is like affirming to your subconscious: "Yeah see? I really do believe you are awesome".

I tried this one time and this is how it went:

Complimenter: "You are going to do so well in that course"
Me: "Oh haha I don't know about that" *Sending signals to my subconscious that I don't believe in myself*
Me 2-seconds later: "Actually, you know what, I think I will do well. I'm really passionate about this, so I know I'll give it my best shot."

How did I feel after that? Awesome! It was like an invisible fist-pump to myself.
How did Complimenter feel after that? Awesome! I wasn't being conceited, I was acknowledging that I believed her compliment and I appreciated it.

Guys, seriously, I know this all sounds a bit wacko, but there is another amazing quote I want to share with you:

When you undervalue what you DO, the world will undervalue who you ARE.”
Oprah Winfrey

So OWN your awesomeness, in a liberated and totally YOU way. If someone says you look hot, give them a massive smile and just say thank you! Show that you value that they noticed something special about you. And even throw a genuine compliment back their way. If someone congratulates you or praises you on an amazing achievement, accept it, acknowledge it and thank them with sincerity and warmth.

And if you really do have an insecurity about something someone has complimented you on, why not just be honest? When people used to compliment me on my singing, I would react by violently shaking my head. I'm now learning to respond with: "I am a pretty good singer, but I doubt it sometimes because I am not as trained as others are". Usually what results, is an honest response from the other person, and a real and straight-forward conversation.

And what about the other way around - if you go a bit overboard and come off more intense and proud than you intended? Who cares! Forgive yourself, take note, and try again. But don't put yourself down, don't undervalue who you are and what you have done in front of others. No-one is gaining anything from that. I realise that now.

We have a right to be everything we have ever wanted to be. We have a right to feel secure within ourselves, and to be proud of who we are and what we have accomplished. And there is NOTHING egotistical about that.


What do you guys think? As always leave comments, I love reading them and I love the conversations they start!

Til' next time,

Peace & Love!

A.






8 comments:

  1. Hey A!
    Damn straight! I completely agree... okay so I can't relate to the "OMG! you look great" stuff (obv lol) but I can definitely relate to the feeling when someone compliments you.
    I used to do the same thing with my music.
    "Wow! That was fantastic!" they used to say (this was when I was say 12-16). I'd just reply feeling embarrassed, twitching, shaking my head, mumbling, looking down, etc. I figured that for me it was two things:
    1) I wasn't confident in myself. It'd been a long time since I'd found something in which I could do something unique and worthwhile.

    But then I thought about something I said accidentally as a child. When someone complimented me saying that "You're a very bright boy" I replied with "It's the light" and pointed at the bulbs above me.
    What I realized was that maybe sometimes we, in ourselves, seem to over-think things and (sometimes due to societal stereotypes) we seem to feel that we don't live up to the world's expectations. I feel that we put more pressure on ourselves than society itself. I mean (maybe you relate with this) every time I hear my recordings I think to myself: "Dammit that was a bad mistake... the note was off... i should've sung this instead... needs more feel" and so on and so on...
    Maybe it's that they don't actually see these faults. maybe we just let these minor issues cloud the overall judgement of what they value in it.

    While it is a virtue to be able to find your own mistakes and work on them we shouldn't forget to stop for a second and appreciate the work we've done so far.

    Today it's just "Thanks. Hopefully I can keep at it and do more and better recordings"

    One's self confidence and judgement of themselves is often more important than any of those from the people around them. (That's not to say that that's not important but as my TaeKwonDo instructor says:
    "You are your toughest Master. And the tougher the master you are the greater the appreciator you will be of your own achievements."

    Thanks for some great food for thought. I never really got the chance to sit down and think about what fuels my confidence and fervour in the things i do.
    Thanks again,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog entry there ( remember that's a compliment, accept it:P). I think many people undervalue themselves because one of the steps to success is accepting and believing your achievement is deserved, and to do that it is difficult to overcome our brains natural tendency to protect itself so we will deflect the compliment in case we fail... It is quite an important barrier to overcome to achieve, but you have to remember, "before anyone else can see it, you have to believe it" - Michael Jordan/will smith. Believe in yourself so when you receive a compliment, you can acknowledge and accept it. Do not fear failure, accept your success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *SMILES* Thanks Kreo! --> there I took my own advice.
      ;-)

      That is an amazing quote btw, and love the last line :)

      Delete
  3. Good to know it's not just me! Haha, I've never really thought about why it's so awkward when someone compliments me. I think I'm going to consciously try and accept/acknowledge compliments more, now.
    I love "a truly secure and self-confident individual will acknowledge and own her achievements and her good traits in a way that empowers the people around her, rather than belittling them or making them feel insecure."
    totally reposting that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REPOST RESPOST!!! :) haha thanks Ravo!

      Delete
  4. I totally agree that you both feel great when you accept a compliment. The person giving it usually just wants to put a smile on your face, so they are very happy if you accept it :) So really you're doing both of you a favour.

    I'm still trying to find the balance between humble and arrogant responses too haha. But a smile and "thanks!" usually goes well, and I like your idea of giving a compliment back, as that lifts the other person up with you.

    Keep up the great blog :)

    Maz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Maz! Genuine compliments really do make a day special. I think it also ends up linking to the concept of gratefulness as well (wow that was an a-ha moment for me just then) - so by accepting a compliment, maybe we are also in a way showing our gratefulness for everything we have?

      Also your comment reminded me of a quote by Dale Carnegie -
      "Try leaving a friendly trail of little sparks of gratitude on your daily trips. You will be surprised how they will set small flames of friendship that will be rose beacons on your next visit."

      Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  5. Hey Chiron,

    My gosh, I wrote out an amazing reply and my computer deleted it all. SO let me try again:

    Firstly, thanks for the really thought-provoking comment! I can totally relate to how you feel with the singing. I think with singing, as with any other art form, the artist tends to be extremely critical and perfectionistic with what he/she produces.It's nature of the beast to an extent perhaps, but like you said, we both need to learn to recognise the perfection in our work, while still being aware of opportunities to improve. I think we need to replace teh SUBJECTIVE critic (the one that goes: omg you suck) with the OBJECTIVE critic (the one that says: you know, that note was offtune, but the rest was beautiful).

    I think that way we will continue to remain inspired - if we keep being critical of ourselves, it becomes draining, and thats not what art is about.

    I love this line in your comment:

    While it is a virtue to be able to find your own mistakes and work on them we shouldn't forget to stop for a second and appreciate the work we've done so far.

    I'm going to be more appreciative of myself as a singer from now on, so thank you for the awesome comment!

    :)

    ReplyDelete