Thursday 22 November 2012

Back to the Future

Hi guys!

I thought I'd share this really awesome technique with you - but first, a little background:

It was 9 pm on a weekday, the sky was dark, and rain was starting to pour down. I had just gotten off the train at my station, feeling a bit dark and gloomy myself. I made my way to the empty carpark and tried to start my car. No luck. 3 more times, and I was met with the same choking engine stutter. I had no clue what it was, so I called my Dad and after a few minutes of telling me off, he told me he would be there in 15 minutes.

15 minutes. It's dark and empty outside. I'm sitting inside our old red Toyota Camry, and there are droplets of rain silently streaming past my window.

Being the restless person I am, I decided to use to the 15 minutes to do something - anything - useful. A few months ago, I can't remember where, I remembered reading about a really interesting technique - called the 'Rocking Chair Method'. Here's how it works -

You sit back, and close your eyes. You take a few deep breaths and then you visualise yourself, at 80. Lose yourself in your imagination, and convince yourself that you have aged. What would your skin feel like? What would your limbs and joints feel like? What would you look like?


 
Once you have entered that 'character' of an 80 year old you, start asking yourself - what do I wish I had done, when I was younger?

I still remember sitting in that car that day as an '80 year old', because it revealed to me some really basic, but resounding truths. And here is some of what Old Me  had to say to Young Me:

"I wish I had......"

* Been more fearless
* Not disregarded or taken anyone for granted
* Had more fun and travelled more
* Been my 'home self' around everyone
* Been less afraid of what people thought of me
* Really been there for the people I love
* Been more assertive
* Lived more in the moment
* Done more with my time
* Loved myself more
* Been more FREE. --> This one I'm still trying to get my head around.

 Pretty interesting stuff right? All of this went straight onto a paper and is now stuck to my wall. And subconcisously or conciously, I've made some progress in all of these areas this year - which is awesome.

I think what this technique does is to reinforce what we really value, and re-centre our mind to focus on the stuff that really matters.

So try it out, see what Old You has to say, and really listen. It could change the way you see things. And, it gives you a chance to act, while you still can.

And FYI - I think my battery was flat. In more ways than one. ( See what I did there?? :D )

Til' next time,

Peace and Love!

A.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Very insightful!

    Another technique worth trying is imagining you're at your funeral and thinking about who would speak and what they'd say. And then changing your life accordingly.

    ReplyDelete