Tuesday 24 June 2014

Into the Land of Hippies and Happiness

Hey guys,

I hope you've had an amazing week!

So I've discovered something really cool over the last few days - as I mentioned, I started re-instating a lot of the small routines in my life again and it feels super nice.

So while I was reading up on affirmations one day, I also stumbled across a few other interesting techniques that I found totally fascinating:

1) EFT tapping (this guy is awesome): http://www.youtube.com/user/eftwizard

 

2) Chakra meditation:

http://yogaloftblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/chakra_poster.jpg


Yes I know, I probably sound a little cuckoo now - because we're generally socially-programmed to shut out anything that isn't physically tangible or defies human logic and rationality. But hear me out - I think I learnt something really important from both of these practices.

Both approaches involve analyzing the physical body for tension and pain, and linking that to strengthening your emotional peace - your internal world.

EFT healing involves tapping repeatedly on your pressure points while saying positive affirmations; and chakra meditation is a lot to do with visualising chakras in your body while 'healing' them - each chakra relates to certain emotions and personality tendencies.

I tried both practices, keeping an open mind and just being curious to see what would happen. And yes, they worked - for me. But what fascinated me was this: I could clearly see a link between physical pain and ailments, and emotional issues or thoughts. There were some instances in which I could feel negative thoughts physically as tightness in my neck for instance; and the replacement of these thoughts led to immediate (temporary) physical relief.

I'm not here to argue whether these techniques are merely an act of placebo, or whether they have scientific basis - but I do want to say this: they reaffirmed my belief that our thoughts do determine the quality of our life experience.


www.makeitsomindset.com



So everyone goes through some rough times, and there have been instances when I handled them horribly - victimising myself and wallowing in self-pity; and more recently, there have been instances when I handled these events with acceptance and faith. In both instances, the events that took place sucked - but my experience of the events were vastly different. When I chose to focus on the positive, I viewed the event as one component of an otherwise beautiful life, and a learning experience; and when I chose to focus on the negative, my entire experience of life turned dark and painful - and this manifested physically as well, in the form of chest pains and digestive issues.


Our mind is strange, because its personality is largely determined by what it focuses on. Remember that example of how when you become aware of a certain type of car for instance, you see it everywhere, even when you never noticed its existence before?

Awareness: the all-famous ball-passing gorilla-suit video.



Looking back, it's so clear to me that my choice to simply focus on the positive or focus on the negative, determined the magnitude of external events in my life - the weight they had in determining the rest of my choices, and the rest of my life.

Which means then, that our Fate is actually well and truly in our hands - and most of us simply do not realise it.  There have been so many inspiring stories of people who have overcome unfathomable pain to soar to great heights of success - and we look at them and say: "If only".


Because it's easier not to accept responsibility for our lives. It's easier to blame God or other people -when really, we have a choice. Taking ownership for our lives and the way it is - is really freaking hard. But we have a choice to be magnificent.

So I'd really like to stop copping out, and start exercising that choice - starting with taking care of my thoughts. Just take a few minutes even now and notice - what sort of thoughts are filling your mind? Is the flavour of your mind depressing and or is it empowering and warm and fuzzy?
Take a moment and observe how you speak to yourself. For instance, I know I tend to be very self-critical - but it wasn't until I re-started my routines recently, that I realised how negative my mind had become. At one point, I found myself listening to my thoughts and could not believe what I was hearing - we would never verbally abuse another person with a barrage of criticism, so why do we do it to ourselves?
 
What's the flavour of your mind?

So for the next week and like the next 50 years, I really want to focus on my own mind - on keeping it positive and healthy. And one way I want to do this is to also be aware of any physical pains I am experiencing - you know, those sudden stabs of tightness in your neck, or your constricted chest - what's causing this? What's stressing me out, or what am I holding onto from my past that is still affecting me and my life?

I found meditation and affirmations, as well as the techniques I mentioned above to be extremely empowering (and fun!) - for you, it could well be something else.

If we start with healing our thoughts, I truly think we will be astounded to see who we become - as our emotions change, our outlooks and personalities strengthen and our choices become more powerful. This is so exciting!

So what techniques what will you do to cleanse your mind and stay grounded, radiant and powerful?




As always, I would love to hear from you!

Til' next time and with Love,
A. x

P.S - here are some of my favourite affirmation videos and meditation recordings, I hope they come in useful:

1) Morning Meditation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0EQEiecSxs
2) As you sleep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu0qSI0rmws
3) Affirmations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL-ZRHGh5Qo

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of EFT before... Seems very interesting.z
    Did you find EFT or meditation more beneficial?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth a try Ravs - meditation is always going to be my 'go-to' method, I think ti's like the foundation, and everything else kinda sits on top of it - let me know what you think when you try it!

      Delete